11/15/2019 11:15:41 AM
With the first sighting of snow, it is officially “Penguin Season” at the NFTA! With this change in the weather, it brings new risks for injury and accident. Please consider the following to help keep you safe and injury-free:
- Make certain that your footwear is appropriate for the weather and provides good traction. If you need different shoes for your workspace (office, etc.) please consider bringing in an extra pair of shoes each day or leaving a pair in your workspace/locker.
- Use three points of contact when entering/exiting vehicles and using stairs/steps. This means two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot.
- If possible, avoid walking in areas with snow or ice accumulation.
- If areas of ice and snow cannot be avoided, walk like a penguin!
- Drive with caution – leave extra space, anticipate others will make mistakes, and drop your speed.
- Make sure walkways and work areas are clear of snow and ice. Notify the appropriate personnel of areas needing treatment, or take care of it yourself to protect others.
- Slow down.
If you do fall while walking, make an effort to tuck your chin, so your head won’t hit the ground. If you are injured during a fall, be sure to see your doctor as soon as possible for a proper medical evaluation.
If you have a topic for our Wellness Wednesday feature, please email us at Elements@nfta.com.